How much do I get in benefits?

How much you can claim  in benefits depends on your situation before you became unemployed. However, the maximum payout is DKK 19,322 per month.

Unemployed after work

Your benefits depend on your total earned income over the last 24 months before you became unemployed. We calculate your benefit rate based on the 12 highest-paid months of the 24 months. 

Your monthly benefit rate will make up 90% of your average income in the 12 highest-paid months after deduction of the labour market contribution (AMB). The maximum rate is DKK 19,322 per month.

To claim the highest rate for full-time insured members (DKK 19,322 per month before tax), your average earned income must have been at least DKK 23,336. If you are part-time insured, to get the highest rate (DKK 12,881 per month before tax), your average earned income must have been at least DKK 15,557 per month (2021 figure). There is no minimum benefit rate.

If you have not had earned income over 12 of the last 24 months, but only 10 months, as an example, we calculate your rate based on the average earned income of the 10 months. If you have had no earned income at all over the last 24 months, we extend the 24-month period by 12 months and calculate your rate based on your average wage for that period.

When your benefit rate has been calculated, you cannot have a new rate calculation before you have earned the right to a new 2-year benefit period. 

Please note that income already used to calculate your rate cannot be used for a new rate calculation.

The following types of income count as earned income for the calculation of your rate: 

  • A-income from paid work provided it was reported to the tax authorities’ income register by your employer(s). Normal terms of employment and wages must have applied
  • B-income of which the labour market contribution (AMB) has been paid, and which is not part of the profits of a business 
  • Income from running your own business:
    • From a personally owned business: taxable profits before interest and other financial items, as they appear from Field 111 in the tax authorities’ annual tax statement (årsopgørelse) 
    • From a business operated in corporate form (an ApS, A/S or similar) over which you have controlling influence*: your own share of the profits of the company’s taxable result plus your A-income paid by the company
    • Income from running your own business, evenly distributed over the accounting year. Note that such income cannot be stated for this purpose before it appears from the annual tax statement. For owner-managed company this happens on May 1 or July 1 in the year following the accounting year depending on when your annual tax statement is final.

*You are considered as having controlling influence if you or your spouse, individually or together with close family, own at least 50% of the company

Rate calculation for you who have earned benefit rights via an exception rule for self-employed persons

If you have earned benefit rights according to an exception rule because you were unable to fulfil the income requirement over the last 3 years, your benefit rate is calculated in a particular way. In this case your benefit rights are based exclusively on income from your own business over the last 5 years. The rate is calculated on the basis of your average income for the 2 highest-earning accounting years over the last 5 years.


Unemployed after graduation

If you are a recent graduate, your benefit rate depends on whether you have dependent children under the age of 18.

If you have dependent children you receive 82 % of the maximum benefit rate. In 2021, this is DKK 15,844 per month.

If you do not have dependent children you receive 71.5 % of the maximum benefit rate. In 2021, this is DKK 13,815 per month.

When you have worked for at least 3 months after completing your education, a new calculation for a higher benefit rate can be made after 6 months.