Deductions from benefits

If you are fully unemployed for a month, you will receive unemployment benefits for 160.33 hours.

But deductions will be made from the benefits if:

You must register all work on your benefits form – whether paid or unpaid.

You must state:

  • How many hours you have worked
  • Your pay, if you are not paid per hour worked
  • The employer's name and address

We must also determine whether you are eligible for supplementary benefits and how the work is to be deducted from the benefits.

You must therefore submit a copy of your contract to us. If you do not have a contract, you and your employer must instead fill in an employment disclosure form for each employment relationship. 

If your contract provides for a termination notice, we must also receive a release certificate from your employer within five weeks.

Read about the supplementary benefits rules

More or less all income you receive must be deducted from the benefits we pay to you. Consequently, you must always register any income you receive while claiming benefits from CA.

There may not be room enough on the benefits form to describe the type of income in question. Therefore, you are welcome to supplement the information provided in a message to us.

What is deducted from my benefits?

We are required to deduct salary, holiday allowance, fees for board memberships, taxable per diem allowances for meetings and fees for elective public office such as mayor and alderman as well as employer-paid pensions with ongoing payment.

What is not deducted?

We are not required to deduct any fees paid to you for serving as a juror, lay judge or election official. Nor are we required to deduct any bonus, capital pension, insurance indemnities, damages awarded and proceeds from the sale of real estate.

If you are sick, you are obviously not required to search for a job and be available to the labour market.

Remember to report your sickness to www. Jobnet.dk on your first day of sickness.

On your benefits form, you should write "S" next to each day of sickness.

If you are sick for up to 14 days, you will still receive unemployment benefits if you do not have a permanent part-time job at the same time.

If you are sick for more than 14 days, you will receive sickness benefits from your municipality. CA will ensure that your municipality is informed of your sickness.

If you have a permanent part-time job, you will receive sickness benefits from your municipality from the first day of your sickness.

The sickness benefit rate is the same as for your unemployment benefits.

Read more about sickness and unemployment

When taking holiday, you are not required to be available to the labour market. Therefore, you will not receive any unemployment benefits while taking holiday.

If you have earned holiday pay from employment with an employer, you can receive holiday pay for the days of holiday taken.

If you are eligible for holiday benefits, you can claim holiday benefits from CA for the days of holiday taken. But only after you have taken all of your paid holiday entitlement earned during employment.

In both cases, you should write "F" on the benefits form, next to each of the days you take holiday.

Read about holiday while unemployed

If you are affected by a strike at your workplace, you will not receive any salary during the strike. The same applies if you are affected by a lockout imposed by the employer.

Although you will not receive any salary during the a labour dispute, you are not entitled to claim benefits instead because benefits must not be used to finance a labour dispute.

If you are a member of a trade union, it may be possible to receive financial support from the union.

Any questions about a labour dispute and the right to receive financial support should be directed to your trade union.

If you are not a member of a trade union, you will, as a general rule, receive your salary from your employer as usual because you will not be deemed to take part in the a labour dispute.

Unemployment benefits if you are already unemployed

If you are not employed by the company affected by a labour dispute when the a labour dispute starts, your benefits will generally not be affected.

Read more about a labour dispute

Employers must pay compensation for the first and second day of unemployment – also known as g-days. The amount paid in compensation corresponds to your unemployment benefits.

On your benefits form, you should write "G" next to each day you receive compensation from your former employer.

Read more about g-days