How to qualify for benefits

To be eligible for benefits, you must have been a member for at least 1 year, but also meet certain income requirements. 

If you have recently graduated, other rules on eligibility for benefits apply.

If you have not previously received benefits, your right to benefits is based on your income in the past 3 years. All income subject to labour market contributions you have earned in the past 3 years counts as income for benefits, including A-income and B-income and profit from activity as self-employed.

Only income from work in the months you have been a member of an unemployment insurance fund counts as income for benefits.

Within the 3-year period, you must have had a total income of at least DKK 263,232. The income is calculated on a monthly basis, and you can include an income of no more than DKK 21,936 each month. The monthly income limits are subject to annual review. To view the current income limits, click here.

The 3-year period can be extended by up to 2 years if, for example, you received sickness or paternity/maternity benefits. Again, only periods where you have been a member of an unemployment insurance fund can be included.

Types of income that counts as income for benefits:

  • A-income from paid work, reported to the Income Register of the Danish Customs and Tax Administration (SKAT). The work must have been carried out on normal pay and employment terms.
  • B-income subject to labour-market contribution and not earned through activity as self-employed. Typically fees for single tasks.

Income from activity as self-employed:

  • From a business operated by a single owner, taxable profit before interest and other non-operating income and expenses. This is the income that appears from box 111 in your tax notice of assessment 
  • From a business operated in corporate form where you have significant influence or control. Your share of the company’s taxable profit plus A-income paid by the company also count as income for benefits. 

If you have previously received benefits, but have within the past three years had at least 1,924 hours of work as an employee, a freelancer or as self-employed, you are eligible for benefits for a new 2-year period. If you are part-time insured, you must have had 1,258 hours of work.

1,924 hours of work corresponds to a full year of working 37 hours a week. If you work as a freelancer or as self-employed, your income will generally be converted into hours as described here.